How much are you paying your iPhone home compared to other countries around the world? Let’s find out!
This map displays the average price (in US dollars, national VAT rates included) per country for an iPhone 11 (128GB) as of October 2020. It is made upon data provided by the Mac Index website, whose rankings are filled in with Apple website metadata.
Table of Contents
Why do we do a world iPhone price index?
Since the first iPhone was launched in 2007, it has become one of the most purchased products throughout the world. Even if the competition on the smartphones market is getting always stronger, the iPhone price remains in 2020 a very reliable indicator for what concerns the cost of tech products in the different parts of the world.
Top 3 countries where the iPhone 11 is the most expansive
The top 3 countries where the iPhone 11 is the cheapest
The world iPhone 11 price index ranking
|37||United Arab Emirates||860|
An international prospective on the iPhone price
First of all, we assume here that the average prices of the iPhone 11 (128 GB) displayed on the map reflect the price of the iPhone models in general in all the countries selected. When looking at the world iPhone 11 price index, at least 3 things comes to the mind:
- North America is by far the cheapest continent to buy an iPhone
- Europe is the continent where buying an iPhone is the most expansive
- The price of an iPhone is rather fair in Asia
However, is it so obvious that iPhones are way cheaper in the US than in Europe?
Is it interesting for Europeans to buy an iPhone in the US?
If you take the numbers strictly as we put them on the map, a Swedish costumer has to pay $350 more than an American one to purchase an iPhone 11 (128GB) – which is a lot. First of all, one has to bear in mind that in Europe, all the countries include VAT in their prices. In the US, this is different, for every State has its own consumers’ tax rate. For example, it is 8,875% in New York City, that you will have to add to the original price.
However, if you really wish to purchase your iPhone into the US, you basically have two options:
- You travel to the US, and take back your iPhone home. In that case, you may refunded at the airport of the consumers’ tax of the State in which you bought your phone. However, you have to take into account the price of your ticket, as well as a possible VAT that you will hay to pay upon arrival into Europe (20% in the UK for example)
- You buy your iPhone on the internet, and ship it home through a transport company such as DHL or UPS. In that case, you have to consider the shipping costs – that can be high, but also the VAT that is likely to be collected by the customs of your country.
As you see, defining if buying an iPhone in the US for a European customer is a tricky calculation. In the end, the benefit is not so obvious as it may seem at first considering the numbers.
When is the iPhone 12 coming out?
Since 2010, Apple have released every September a new iPhone model, creating a buzz every year among tech lovers. However, 2020 is different. With the Covid-19 pandemic shaking the world, Apple has had a delay in the launch of its brand new iPhone 12. It has finally be presented by the company on the 13th of October.
There has been a total of 4 iPhone 12 models presented to the public:
- iPhone 12 Standard
- iPhone 12 Mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
For a version of this map in Canadian Dollars, please consult it on the website of Hello Safe Canada.